Are your at Risk for Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?

Carbon monoxide (CO) is dangerous because it is odorless and colorless so it is difficult to monitor without a detection device. Are you at risk? The CDC states,

“Each year, more than 400 Americans die from unintentional CO poisoning not linked to fires, more than 20,000 visits the emergency room, and more than 4,000 are hospitalized.“

​In your HVAC system specifically, your furnace burns fuel (natural gas or propane) to heat your home. This action causes your furnace to emit CO as a byproduct. Every furnace is designed to exhaust CO out of the home. If your furnace is ancient, has components that need repairs, or is oversized for your living space it could be leeching CO and possibly into your home.

If you don’t have a CO detector on every floor of your home you should be looking for the following symptoms of CO poisoning with your family members:
  • Dizziness
  • Headaches
  • Confusion
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Chest-pain

What are the best practices for preventing this in your home? First, you should ensure that you have a CO detector on every floor of your home with fresh batteries. Here is a list of quality models available:
VIP-icon
Next, you need to have your current system inspected and serviced by a technician with every change in season. Call us today to schedule an appointment to have your system inspected or sign up for our VIP Priority Club Membership and we will take care of you.

We guarantee our work and are committed to servicing your system with a thorough diagnostic inspection on each service call. This commitment to quality allows us to find, identify, and repair issues that will save you money in the long term and keep your system running smoothly for the life of the equipment. If you have any questions or concerns about your air conditioner or cooling system, don’t hesitate to give us a call.